And the countdown begins...

Now.

The Wednesday before Christmas, I submitted an online volunteer application for a Swedish NGO working with refugees in Greece. The refugee is a looming humanitarian issues, a fixture on 24 hour news cycles and fundraising efforts. I somewhat naively assumed (maybe on some level being hopeful) that, being a topical and viral crisis, this camp was well sorted with volunteers. Maybe they are, but that did not stop me from securing a position two days later.

So, now, after months of telling inquiring minds, "I'm still looking for my next step," through a rehearsed smile, I find myself very suddenly with a plan. This coming March, pending a drastic adjustment of the Greek government on their position on the refugee camps, I will be headed to Chalkida to volunteer in the Ritsonas Refugee camp (pictured in the map below by the red pin, with Athens in the bottom centre-right for reference). Even reading it now, I need to take a grounding breath.

Technically speaking, the name of this project isn't accurate as of yet. If we're being picky, this first note is from my parent's kitchen table. But I heard in a podcast that the way to make New Years resolutions stick is to start them before January, and being more active in creating my own trajectory is one of mine. How that translates into a blogspot, I'm still working out. But it feels right for the moment.

I'm going to use this as a place to reflect and orient the day to day in a greater picture. I'll start with the lead-up to my arrival, and will attempt to post regularly. Apparently graduate school did not cure me of any lingering desire to write and read difficult subjects, so I'll process here.

To be clear! I have no intention of using this as a vessel to appropriate anyone's experiences or speak for anyone. Refugee stories are not mine to tell, and I flat out refuse to be another white girl posing with her volunteer project. Please, if you start to sense that happening, please tell me. I promise I can take it. 

Comments

Popular Posts